20 April 2010

Columbine

11 years ago today was a day that changed so many people's lives forever - including mine.  Everything that our community, and in particular my sisters, had to go through was painful and will never be forgotten. A little piece of innocence that we can never get back was taken from all of us. I have been thinking a lot about the events of that day today and I just wanted to write a few words about it.

I was in 7th grade at Ken Caryl Middle School and it seemed like a normal day - that is until we were locked down in our classrooms because of an "event" that was going on at Columbine. We really didn't think much of it until we saw people across the hall crying and making their hands into the form of a gun. That is when we started to realize that it was a shooting. One moment that I will always remember from that day, in that class, is when a I told a classmate that I had two sisters there and he said to me "What if it was them that got shot?" All I remember is that I couldn't answer and I just started crying right there in class. When I finally got picked up and my mom told me that they were okay I finally was able to calm down a bit, until I got home and saw them and just started crying some more.

I just want to say that I admire and love my sisters so much and if anything were to happen to anyone in my family it would be devastating to me. It makes me sad to know what they went through that day and in the following years, but it also gives me hope after seeing how much they have been able to change and move forward with their lives.

April 20th is a date that will always live on in my mind, but now it is not only a day to remember a tragedy, but also a day to reflect on God's power and his blessings.

I just want to tell everyone in my family that I love you all so much and every one of you has had a major impact on my life. Thank You all...

We Are Columbine

4 comments:

Diana said...

This was so sweet Daniel! I don't remember ever hearing about what that person said to you when you were in lockdown. How terrifying for you not knowing, and just having to wait. I love you!

Babzanne Barker said...

Despite the tragic day that was, we in the Columbine community have a precious bond because of it. Even though you were just a young boy at that time I'll always remember the tears you shed as we watched everything unfolding on TV. Our family was truly blessed that day to be together that night, and all these years since. Love you so much!

AJ and Cindy said...

How did I not see this post before now! I never knew that happened to you about someone saying that! How sad! :( I love you so much too and am so happy that all our lives have turned out so happy!

Mars said...

I hated being locked down not knowing what was going on either! i remember my car pool was there but they had to get permisssion from my parents to let me go with them & they couldn't get ahold of anyone in my family so they let me go. Then their older brother who went to Columbine was waiting out in the car & I started crying because I didnt know where my brother was & they couldn't get ahold of my parents. That day's memories will never fade but everyone was able to be touched by it and move on with their lives.