16 November 2010

No more yummy foods :( (Daniel wrote that)

Last night we finally found out why Benji had been a little bit sick. According to the Doctor's it looks like Benji has a Cow's milk protein allergy. What is that? We didn't know, but the doctor said that it wasn't too common, but that it does happen. We now know and of course mom and dad will have to make some sacrifices for their little Benji. (We both have to, because we can't afford to buy food for separate meals :))

No More Cheese
No More Cow's milk (the alternative that they gave us is Almondmilk and it is very yummy and not too expensive like we had thought)
No More Cream,
No More Eggs,
No More Yogurt,
And No More Anything that Comes from Cow's Milk!

The truth is that we don't know what foods to cook now that don't have any of those ingredients. Daniel went to Macy's today and this is what he came home with. The white bread has some milk products in it, but the Doctor said that it wasn't enough to cause problems. I am grateful for my husband for his efforts. We are still confused with what to make though, so if anyone has any good recipes that you can think of that would be wonderful!

I don't want to punish my husband too much with foods that he doesn't like, but my brain feels small like a bean now, because all of my life I have made foods with those ingredients!

Also, today Benji had his 2 month shots. I admit that this time I wasn't courageous and I closed my eyes to not watch him. At first I thought Daniel was courageous because he kept his eyes open and watched them give his son a shot, but when the nurse left he cried a little bit, So I told him, Good thing one of us is strong! hehehe. Benji cried quite a bit, but his parents were there to console him. Now he seems to be doing just fine and happy as usual, but we hope that tomorrow he stays the same.



Well, besides our new diet, Benji also had to change formula brands. We haven't been giving him much at all lately, but the doctor gave us a sample of one we can use that isn't milk based. It is called Nutramigen. It is a little expensive, but we hope not to spend too much on it.


Benji weighed 10 pounds 9 ounces today at his appointment and he was approximately 22.5 inches long. They said everything looked and sounded good and we are so grateful that he has been developing well and despite being sick, he has still been such a good, peaceful little boy.

4 comments:

Charbel Barker said...

Please when you read blog think in a recipe for us! :) We thank you!

Diana said...

I will try and find some recipes for you guys! I am so glad that you found out what was making him not feel good. I know it will be hard, but you can do it! You both are the cutest parents ever. I think it's so cute that Daniel got a little teary after his shots. That's what happend when you grow up with four sisters! He always hated shots growing up too, lol

Babzanne Barker said...

I just sent you the recipe for peanut butter sauce--it is so yummy and is really good on anything stir-fried. Everything tastes really good stir-fried. Also, you can put any cut of meat into the crock pot, add a little water or barbecue sauce and let it cook all day on low. Then just shred the meat and use it in tacos and burritos or with mashed potatoes. I'll try and send some more ideas soon! Good luck--you will do great!

AJ and Cindy said...

mom stole all my recip ideas! Ill try to think of some, too. I hope Benji outgrows this, did the doctor say that was a possiblity?