Yesterday Benji and I went to a birthday party for one of Benji's little friends, It was so much fun spending time there playing and visiting with everyone! There were a lot of toys and and there was one that really caught Benji's eye and he didn't stop playing with it the whole time we were there... I had never seen a toy keep his attention for more than five minutes before this! He was so entertained that when we left the party, I told Daniel that I wanted to get it for Benji. (which is kind of strange because I don't usually like to spend too much buying toys because Benji doesn't stick with something for very long). But I was decided that no matter what it cost, we had to get him this toy. So when we got home Daniel looked it up online where we could find it and the closest place that had it was Toys r Us :).
Before leaving the house, Daniel decided to change his shirt - he told me that he grabbed about three shirts before deciding to put on his "Jimmer" shirt that says "Brigham Young" in big letters on the front. When we got home after buying the toy, we realized that we needed a pump to fill it up with air, and the one that we had broke after a couple of pumps!. So Daniel decided to go quickly to Walmart so that he could get home before the Broncos game was going to start :).
I was surprised that he was taking a little bit long to get home and I was getting a little bit worried. When he got home this was our conversation:
Me: Why did you take so long? I was worried.
Daniel: I just had an interesting experience
Me: What happened? You are scaring me!
Daniel: Well, when I pulled up to Walmart, I decided to park on the other side and go in the other entrance, which I don't normally do, and when I was walking in I noticed a large man in an electric wheelchair outside of the entrance. He had his head down and I didn't really think much about it, but when I was about to go in the entrance, I heard him say "no way, you have got to be kidding me." And he said, "Hey Brother, Come here for a second, are you Mormon." (I had my Brigham Young shirt on that I changed into earlier) So I approached him slowly and cautiously, but he seemed sincere and sober so I walked up to him and he started talking to me and he was getting all teary eyed. He said that he had just gotten out of surgery and was trying to get back home to his family but he had to take a greyhound bus. He said that while he was at the hospital the missionaries had given him a blessing because a stake president had told them about him. He said that he had gotten a ride from a member of the Church there but that he needed 23 more dollars for his ticket. He said that the stake president had told him that when things look like they aren't going well, to pray and to never be ashamed to ask members of the Church for help. He said that he had just pulled out in front of Walmart and was praying for some help and when he opened his eyes he saw my Brigham Young Shirt and he knew that that was an answer. I had my doubts, but I told him that I had to go in and buy what I went for and that I would see if I could help him. So I got cash back inside and he was out there when I went back out. I helped him with 25 dollars and he seemed sincerely touched and surprised that I actually was helping him. He told me that he was definitely going to keep meeting with the missionaries now and that he was considering being baptized into the Church. I knew that there was a possibility that he was tricking me, but I felt that he was sincere and that 25 dollars wasn't worth not helping someone and being an answer to someone's prayers. That and the fact that I had worn that shirt which I rarely wear and parking and entering on the side that I hardly ever go in were enough for me to believe that I was being used as an answer to this man's prayer, and I felt that he was being sincere.
It was a great experience and I know that Heavenly Father always puts the pieces where they belong so that his children can see miracles. Today Daniel also got a new calling in addition to our calling as cub scout leaders. He is the new Deacon's quorum adviser in our ward and I can feel that this year is going to be one of a lot of spiritual progress for both of us and I am grateful for that :).
Columbine 27 Years Later
3 months ago












3 comments:
Wow, What a story! Heavenly Father definitely works though other people to answer prayers, and Daniel was an obvious answer to this man's =)
And that party looks like so much fun! Did the mom make those owl costumes for all of the kids??
What a great experience! And congrats to Daniel and his new calling -- he will be so great at that!
what a touching story! thanks for sharing, that was very sweet. and that toy does look so fun! I bet Benji will love that for a while :)
Post a Comment