It is the most anticipated day of the year for little boys and girls, except the ones who have been bad :), even more than Christmas. The night before the family gets together to eat the traditional Rosca de Reyes. Which is made of a sweet bread that can have either cinnamon flavor or vanilla. In all of the Mexican bakeries they have them, but some people like to make them more special and they prepare their own at home.
Of course one can't eat this sweet bread without a big cup of steaming hot chocolate :) Inside of the bread, there are some small plastic figures which represent the baby Jesus and the traditions says that while cutting the rosca, the one who gets one of the figures, has to make and share tamales with everyone else on February 2nd (other mexican celebration). Inside the Rosca, there is not only one figure, there are many, so that many people can help with the party.
Daniel and I were talking about this celebration and I was explaining it to him a few days before and I told him that I wanted to maintain this tradition in our home. (If one day Benji asks why the Three Kings don't bring presents to his cousins, we will tell him that they only come to those that have a little bit of Mexican in them :) hehe) Last night Daniel went to work at his new schedule at the MTC. He got home late at night, and being a good wise men, he brought presents for his wife and son, so that when they got up in the morning, they knew that the Three Kings had been there.
We found this letter with the presents, its says: From the Kings, we won't forget about you! :):):)
It was so wonderful to find these surprises and to know that my husband cares about the traditions of my country. He had a long, hard day yesterday at school and at work and other things, but even still he took the time to remember and surprise his family. Could I possibly ask for more? I am so blessed :) I love you Daniel Barker




3 comments:
That post made me cry! I am so glad that Daniel knew how important it is for you to keep your traditions alive. Benji is a lucky boy to get to celebrate traditions from both his parent's cultures! I love what you said about explaining the Three Kings to his cousins!! Haha!!
this post made me cry, too! what a great tradition, it is so important to have that for Benji and for your family here, too! thanks for sharing
What a wonderful tradition! I am so glad that you want to keep this tradition going for your family =)
Post a Comment