On this special day, they also make a special bread, called "Pan de Muerto", which has a delicious orange flavor and we eat it with a big cup of hot chocolate!
At home everyone gets together and makes the food that their family members used to eat - it is a day where there is a lot of food - kind of like Thanksgiving here.
This year I am making Pozole to remember my Grandma who passed away recently because it was one of her favorite foods.The kids get "Calaveritas de azucar" (sugar skull cookies:)). A lot of people put the name of their family member on the "Calaverita."
Everyone makes a shrine outside of their house with pictures of their family members and with fruit and other foods.
Family members always get together on this day to enjoy the food, and also to remember the experiences that they had with their family members - and of course I didn't want to let the day go by without teaching Benji about this tradition of Mexico. And of course I want to remember my Grandmother who was such a great example for me. :)




2 comments:
I remember in elementary school we went to a day of the dead celebration, and I thought it was so cool because it was the same day as my birthday. Benji is so lucky to get to celebrate so many fun traditions!
I loved reading about your traditions, that is a really cool holiday!
Post a Comment