Our day began going to the post office to send my cousin a Christmas package to El Salvador where she is on her mission. (we are like sisters, and we are the only members of the Church in our family and we always have supported each other and I am so proud of her for serving a mission!). Back to the topic at hand ... It all started when Benji wanted to grab one of the cards that they were selling at the post office and I didn't let him! So, he went crazy and started hitting me in the face and screaming and crying. We were so embarrassed by how he was behaving and we weren't sure how to handle it, because we had never been in a situations like this before with Benji!. Daniel tried to distract him with his cell phone but Benji just took it and threw it on the ground and kept yelling.
After getting home, after listening to him cry the whole way home, I immersed myself in information online about how to control and calm these tantrums. Thanks to what I read, I understood that it is normal conduct for a baby, but it is still not acceptable.
Later on, when my friend Erin came over to hang out (I love how she plans things to do when we get together) Benji seemed a lot better and was having fun with Madeline (Erin's baby) and he seemed like he was really happy!. We spent three and a half hours together in which Benji seemed to be back to his old happy self. But I spoke too soon. He just waited until they left our house to throw himself on the floor and hit me in the face again. Where has my well behaved little boy gone?!
Well, after Daniel finished today's final exam, we planned on going out to eat since it has been awhile since we have gone out. We wanted to spend some time relaxing too and because I had a huge craving for the queso blanco appetizer at Applebees. But honestly, I felt more stressed out going because I wasn't sure which Benji was going to show up. Everything was good and the waiters were very nice and we were able to keep Benji entertained for the most part. But when Benji started getting a little bit out of control we immediately asked for the bill and some boxes to go and we were able to escape!
Well, when we got home, it seems like Benji is behaving like the normal Benji again, and I hope that tomorrow he is still behaving, because I feel like I don't have control over this situation :(
No matter what we still love our little Benji and are glad that we can be his parents, through the good times and the bad :).




2 comments:
Boy did this bring back memories! Just know that you are not alone. I remember many times, checking out at the grocery store with a screaming child who had to have whatever was displayed in the check out lane, and being completely mortified not knowing what to do! Or trying to hold down a screaming child as I pushed a shopping cart through the store, as they constantly insisted that they were NOT going to ride in the cart. On several occasions, a sweet mom would be walking by and would give me a smile as if to say, "I've been there, it will be ok". And it WILL be ok =) You are a great mom, and this stage will pass, just in time for a fun new one to start =) Love you!
You are such a good mom. All kids have tantrums, I hope you find something that works for your family to maybe help in those situations. At least when you're in public most people know it's normal or have been there :)
Post a Comment